The Church of St. Brendan the Navigator, Bantry

 
 



Back to First PageWelcome.htmlshapeimage_1_link_0

We  will celebrate 200 years of worship here in 2018

Our organ


A snippet of Ian Sexton, playing Widor Tocatta from Symphony 5 on St. Brendan’s Church organ.

Our History
St. Brendan’s Church is located on Wolfe Tone Square, right in the heart of Bantry Town. Located at the head of Bantry Bay, Bantry town is about 90 km west of Cork city. It is a small Market town and an important tourism location.  The town is  between the Beara and Sheep’s head (Muintir Bhaire) peninsulas giving access the to Beara Way and the award winning Sheep’s head way with some of the finest walking routes in the country. 

More details

Before this Church was built, Christian worship was conducted  in two  other locations in this Parish dating back to 1411. The Parish is called by the ancient Irish name  “ Kilmocomogue” in honour of the first Church, St. Coman’s, which was located  in Lisheen near the local village of Kealkill. An Act of Parliament was passed in 1704 transferring the Ecclesiastical centre to Bantry at a location called in Irish “ Garraidhe Ui Mhurchadha” (Murphy’s Garden). The ruins are still visible in Church Road as is the ancient burial ground. The Right Honourable Richard, Lord Viscount of Bantry, issued a Deed of Conveyance of the current location on October 23rd 1815. An Act of Council, ratified by the Lord Lieutenant on July 13th 1816 gave permission for this new Church to be built. The first time the  town clock on the Church was rung was to herald in the 20th Century.

This Parish of Bantry was United with the  Parish  of Durrus in 1984 to become the Kilmocomogue Union of Parishes. Our community here in Bantry was further enhanced when the congregations of two local Churches joined us because their own Churches had to close for worship; Rooska Church, situated on the Goat’s path road about 5k from Bantry, served the Church of Ireland Community on the North side of the Muintir Bhaire ( Sheepshead) Peninsula and Snave Church, situated between Bantry and Glengarrif, served the community in the Ballylickey and Coomhola area. In honour of the year 2,000, the Jubilee of our Lord Jesus Christ, on October 3rd 1999,  this   worshipping community rededicated Bantry Church to St. Brendan the Navigator the patron Saint of all who travel.